Thread: Homemade Cleaners

Default Homemade Cleaners

Do any of you have any homemade cleaner "recipes" to share?

I generally try to stick to Vinegar, Baking Soda, Water and Lemon Juice for cleaning. Basically, ingredients that are non-toxic and non-lethal for my children, just in case they ingest it.

I just use vinegar and water with essential oils. I use that and baking soda in the toilet. Straight vinegar for the mirrors.
    ~ Jess ~ Proud momma of Hayden (7/29/06) Ava (3/14/08) Rainbow Baby Carter (6/8/12)

yep, just vinegar/water/EO. baking soda for the tub and toilet.

Grout cleaner:
    3c baking soda mixed with 1c warm water to make paste. Rub into grout with toothbrush. Squirt lemon juice over, wipe off.

All purpose cleaner:
    1 tsp super washing soda & 2c hot water mix in spray bottle. Spray and wipe as you go.

For most cleaning I use my 50/50 vinegar/water spray or the all purpose recipe above.

I have a homemade furniture polish, but stupid me didn't write the recipe down on paper or on the bottle so I can't tell you exactly what it is... I think it has olive oil, vinegar, maybe some lemon juice...

And if anyone needs it, my bug spray... I call it...
    Bug Die!
    2 parts water
    2 parts alcohol
    1 part soap (any liquid dish soap)
    Mix in squirt bottle, shake and spray desired bug.

I use this on black widows around the house with success. It does leave a soapy residue, I use it outside around doors where it doesn't need to be rinsed off and can form a barrier.

amy_elise Guest

I know this is a different type of "cleaner", but its nice! You can make a nice facial scrub with common kitchen items. Chop oatmeal until it is in small pieces and add a little milk, honey, and maybe plain yogurt. It acts as a nice facial and is great to exfoliate. You can also combine sea salt or Epsom salt with olive oil and a few drops of essential oils for an inexpensive spa style body or foot scrub. : )

Default the basics

I just use water, vinegar, and baking soda, in various combinations.

Wondering if anyone has a good recipe for getting staining out of a toilet bowl? The staining's been there ever since we moved in because the place was empty for a year or more but the water was left on.

When we first moved in I used bleach with success on the parts it touched, but I ran out and don't plan to buy any more.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by simplyla View Post
    Wondering if anyone has a good recipe for getting staining out of a toilet bowl? The staining's been there ever since we moved in because the place was empty for a year or more but the water was left on.

When we first moved in I used bleach with success on the parts it touched, but I ran out and don't plan to buy any more.
    I have this srupid stain too, so far we've been unsuccessful in getting it out. I wonder if oxygen bleach would work...?

I just use water, vinegar, and baking soda, in various combinations.

Thanks!
    Is it a ring? You can scrub it with a pumice stone.

It's not all the way around, just follows the trail where water would run. Kind of orange-ish?

What is oxygen bleach? I've never heard of it.

kss717 Guest

Hi All I lurk here and I have some questions:
    Do you use white vinegar or cider vinegar or does it matter?
    What do you use for cutting grease on stoves, cabinets and a good cleaner for white formica countertps. They show everything. I use cloroc clean up to get out any countertop stain but wouold love a more natural cleaner.
    TIA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kss717 View Post
    Hi All I lurk here and I have some questions:
    Do you use white vinegar or cider vinegar or does it matter?
    What do you use for cutting grease on stoves, cabinets and a good cleaner for white formica countertps. They show everything. I use cloroc clean up to get out any countertop stain but wouold love a more natural cleaner.
    TIA!!!
    I've used both. Use ACV if you prefer a less 'salady' smell, use WV if you don't care. As for the stove/counter, I found that a mix of super washing soda and water works great. I'm nak so I can't tell you the measurements at the moment.

Eta: duh, it's in my post above... the all purpose cleaner.
    Last edited by Windy; 05-03-2009 at 08:25 AM.

What is oxygen bleach? I've never heard of it.
    The most common brand name is Oxi-clean.

kss717 Guest

What is the super washing soda?

I have found the oxi-clean leaves a slippery residue(There is that chance I am mixing it wrong too)

Quote Originally Posted by kss717 View Post
    What is the super washing soda?

I have found the oxi-clean leaves a slippery residue(There is that chance I am mixing it wrong too)
    Super Washing Soda

Yeah, Oxi-clean does that. I don't use it for cleaning purposes too much, but it is in my arsenal *just in case*.

kss717 Guest

Great thanks!

Speaking of Washing Soda....you can use the washing soda with borax and laundry bar soap and make really great,really cheep laundry detergent that really works!! Google it!!

Quote Originally Posted by cakegal View Post
    Speaking of Washing Soda....you can use the washing soda with borax and laundry bar soap and make really great,really cheep laundry detergent that really works!! Google it!!
    I was looking at this recipe for laundry soap. I was wondering if it is safe to use on baby clothes? Is it just as good as the "free and clear" type of detergents?

Also, where can I buy essential oils?
    My Boys
    Bergen(1/09) Bensen(10/04)

Quote Originally Posted by Renee29 View Post
    Health food stores have them.

Motherhood: It's on the job training!

Quote Originally Posted by Renee29 View Post
    I was looking at this recipe for laundry soap. I was wondering if it is safe to use on baby clothes? Is it just as good as the "free and clear" type of detergents?

I use this dry recipe...
    1 soap bar (i've been using IVORY)- process in food processor
    1 cup baking soda
    1/2 cup borax

Use 1 TBSP for light load, 2 TBSP for heavy loads

Got this recipe from the Dugger family website (TLC's 18 kids & counting)
    Billy (39) Colette (32) Calen (10-3-07) & Ciera (9-9-09)

this might be a dumb question but this is all new to me. are these natural cleaners cheaper than store made ones? also, bugs aren't attracted to the ACV? Do you need to rinse the area with water after or just spray it down? I'd love to incorporate more natural things into our way of living but I don't know anyone who has done this so any thoughts are helpful.
    Me(32) and DH (26) Parents to three furbabies
    Find the perfect gifts for the children in your life! Visit www.barefootbooks.com/marketplace/12350 for beautiful books and gifts.

georgio36 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jjs08 View Post
    this might be a dumb question but this is all new to me. are these natural cleaners cheaper than store made ones? also, bugs aren't attracted to the ACV? Do you need to rinse the area with water after or just spray it down? I'd love to incorporate more natural things into our way of living but I don't know anyone who has done this so any thoughts are helpful.
    Yeah, you can save quite a bit of money making your own cleaners. You might want to search around at sites like Homemade Cleaners for some recipes and then just get started making them.

I used to make only a few cleaners, but now almost all of my regular cleaning products are homemade.

Are you using fresh lemon juice or bottled?

Salt is a good scrubing agent. Also cheap.