Thread: Dr Sears Selective and Alternative Schedules

Threaded View

Default Dr Sears Selective and Alternative Schedules

These Schedules from:
    The Vaccine Book, Robert W Sears, M.D., F.A.A.P
    Published by Little, Brown and Company, Copyright 2007

ETA: 2nd Edition published 1 Nov 2011 see Dr's Bob's new Vaccine Book is here! for revision details

Selective Schedule
    ”is what I tell parents to consider when they otherwise would have declined all vaccines.”
    Criteria used:
    1)Disease likely to be very severe
    2)Is not only severe, also fairly common
    3)Vaccines have lowest probability of causing reaction and as few controversial ingredients as possible

2 mo DTaP, Rotavirus
    3 mo Pc, HIB
    4 mo DTaP, Rotavirus
    5 mo Pc, HIB
    6 mo DTaP, Rotavirus
    7 mo Pc, HIB
    15 mo Pc, HIB
    5 yr Tetanus booster
    10 yr Blood tests for measles, mumps, rubella, chickenpox and Hep A immunity.
    Consider vaccinating if not immune.
    Consider a 3-dose polio series if travel to Africa or Asia is a possibility
    11 yr HPV (3 doses, girls only)
    12 yr Hep B (3 doses)

Alternative Schedule For those that want to fully vaccinate their kids, but “worry that some of the potential problems with vaccines haven’t been thoroughly researched . . . want to vaccinate, but want to do so in a way that minimized each potential risk”

2 mo DTaP, Rotavirus
    3 mo Pc, HIB
    4 mo DTaP, Rotavirus
    5 mo Pc, HIB
    6 mo DTaP, Rotavirus
    7 mo Pc, HIB
    9 mo Polio, Flu* (2 doses)
    12 mo Mumps*, Polio
    15 mo Pc, HIB
    18 mo DTaP, Chickenpox
    21 mo Flu*
    2 yr Rubella*, Polio
    2 yr 6 mo Heb B*, Heb A
    3 yr Heb B*, measles, Flu*
    3 yr 6 mo Hep B*, Hep A
    4 Yr DTaP, Polio, Flu*
    5 yr MMR*, Flu*
    6 yr Chickenpox
    12 yr Tdap, HPV
    12 yr, 2 mo HPV
    13 yr HPV, Meningococcal*

*Notes & Clarifications:
    Hep B – start at birth if mom, dad, or any close family members are hep B carriers
    Flu – given at separate visits in October or November at ages 3, 4, and 5
    ETA: This is in reference to 2009-2010 flu season, but still has good info about brands and dosing (for LO, teens and adults). I'm also choosing to highlight Dr. Sears following comment on that article that I think is important to know:
    TIMING THE FLU VACCINE WITH OTHER VACCINES
    Because the flu vaccine is so reactive (likely to cause fever and flu-like side effects), I prefer to avoid giving it with other reactive shots (like MMR, Hep B, Chickenpox,
    or the H1N1 vaccine). I recommend at least one month between the flu shot and any of these. I would place the priority on the flu shot over the MMR, Hep B or Chickenpox; delay any of those until it’s been at least a month after the flu shot.
    Meningococcal – once approved for age 2, Dr Sears plans to move it there and delay Hep B by 6 months.
    MMR – now that Merck is stopping production on monovaxs, get this one as you determine, anytime between 1 and 5. FYI, if you delay until age 4, a second booster isn’t needed (if given before age 4, a booster is given at age 5). He suggests you at least get this vaccine by the time your child starts preschool. (from Dr Sears’ Blog)
    ETA: Separate MMR to return in 2011
    Last edited by sunrider; 11-18-2011 at 09:48 AM.
    Krista & Jonathan: Liam, our one and only, born 9 Sep 2008