Thread: Cervical Mucus, Ov Strips and Basic TTC Tips...All the Basics in One Thread!

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

Default Cervical Mucus, Ov Strips and Basic TTC Tips...All the Basics in One Thread!

CHARTING CERVICAL MUCUS
    Cervical mucus changes are monitored for determining when ovulation occurs through the cervical mucus monitoring test. As your cycle progresses, your cervical mucus increases in volume and changes texture.

Before collecting a sample, be sure to wash your hands first in order to prevent the transmission of germs.

The most accurate way to collect your cervical mucus is to insert your finger into your vagina and circle your finger around your cervix or as close as you can to the cervix. This will allow you to actually collect the cervical mucus instead of just it's wetness.
    Monitoring the changes in cervical mucus is the only method that will not require looking back to the past few cycles for analysis, and also provide reliable results that you can trust when trying to conceive. You can do this yourself by getting a sample of your cervical secretions and stretch it between 2 of your fingers (the thumb and index finger) to test for the consistency. Examining the changes in your cervical mucus can help you pinpoint your time of ovulation and increase your chances of pregnancy.

Before Ovulation (low chance of pregnancy):
    The first few days following menstruation, there will be little or no discharge present. You will feel dryness around your vulva. During this time, chances of getting pregnant are low.

Approaching Ovulation (chance of pregnancy):
    The first discharge that does appear should be moist or sticky and should be white or cream in color. In the finger test, the mucus should break easily. You will only be able to pull your fingers about 1 cm apart before it breaks. During this transition time, first the mucus will become cloudy and slightly stretchy during the finger test (this means that it will still break before the fingers are stretched all the way). As time progresses, the mucus will become greater in volume.

Right around ovulation (high chance of pregnancy):
    At this stage, mucus resembles egg whites. It is the thinnest, clearest and most abundant at this point in the cycle. Finger testing will allow the mucus to stretch quite a ways (several centimeters) before it breaks (if it breaks at all). ) The amount of this thin mucus will steadily increase until you experience your 'mucus peak'. This is the last day of this period where the chance of conception is high. It is closely tied to ovulation. During this phase, the sperm's survival rate is higher. It can survive in cervical mucus for up to 72 hours, a significantly longer time than during the rest of the cycle.

After Ovulation (low chance of pregnancy):
    After ovulation, there is a marked change in mucus appearance. It returns to the sticky stage (does not stretch during finger test) and there is again a feeling of dryness around the vulva.

One caution for this test is that sperm can be confused with the mucus secretions and you could make wrong assumptions. Also, vaginal infections, medication, and birth control can alter conditions and should be taken into consideration when examining any vaginal secretions.

Simply put:

Dry
    Probably Not Fertile

Probably Not Fertile

Creamy
    Possibly Fertile

Watery
    Fertile

Egg white
    Most Fertile

Hope that helps everyone

OV TEST STRIPS

1) You should not test between the hours of 5am and 8am--it has been shown that the tests are not accurate with morning pee. You should test with NON morning pee.

2) You should test twice per day, at the same times every day. The best times are between 11-3 and 5-10...making 4 hours before having pee'd before testing. Like noon and 10pm.

--Testing twice per day is important because if you only test at say noon---and you don't get a positive. But test the next day at noon and it's positive that means the LH had been in your blood stream for at least six hours, and you're not completely sure. If you test again at 10pm and the LH surge is gone you will never know if the LH surge was six hours before, or right at noon, etc. Testing twice helps ensure when the LH surge happens.

3) The line MUST be darker, or as dark as the control line.

4) A positive test does not mean you are ovulating! This is the most important. Say you test for four days and on the fourth day you get a positive---don't have DH rush home and BD...you're only getting the LH surge...NOT OVULATION. Ovulation is 12-48 hours AFTER the positive LH. Now, this is why #2 is important.

5) You should not just use OPK'S. Temp and CM and cervical checks are all great ways.

Some TTC Basics

The following are some charting basics as well as some help deciphering our "complex" abbreviation system here, and lastly some tips on checking your cervical position to detect ovulation.

1. you will need a Basal Body Temperature Thermometer (BBT) that records to 100th degree ie 2 decimal places eg. 97.58 - a normal thermometer won't do sorry regardless if it is a digital or not

2. decide what method of charting you will use ie paper or there are some great sites, the main 2 used here are www.fertilityfriend.com (web based - option of free version or paid VIP which comes with a free trial) or www.ovusoft.com (needs to be downloaded on one PC only - subscription required after a free trial period) - both will enable you to share your chart online if wanted so that you can ask for interpretations

3. decide what time in the morning you are going to temp - it must be the same time EVERY morning & be before you get up, speak, drink, pee anything - so if you usually toss & turn or wake up to pee - then you will need to set your alarm to wake you up prior to this happening. You also need to decide if you are going to temp vaginally or orally - generally if your room is greatly affected by environmental temps or if you sleep with your mouth open, you should temp vaginally otherwise orally is OK

4. your temp needs to be taken after 3 hours continuous sleep (see above)

5. if you temp within a 30 minute window of your default time, then there is no need to adjust. However if your wake up time differed outside of 30 minutes BUT still within a 2 hour timeframe then you can adjust. any temp outside of 2 hours needs to be discarded. You add 0.1 degree for every half hour before your regular temp time, and subtract 0.1 for every half hour past. But it has to be within the 2-hour range of your normal temp time.

6. temp ONCE & once only - do not keep taking your temp as this will lead to confusion as you wake up your body starts coming "out of hibernation" so to speak so your temp will change - even if you are not moving. Save yourself the grief

7. when recording your temp on your chart also note as many other factors as possible ie symptoms you may be having etc & try to track your cervical mucus (CM). Also consider using Ovulation Predictor Kits (OPK's) - the more tools you use the more likely you will be able to track your ovulation. Remember your temps will only tell you AFTER you have actually o'ed once you have sustained 3 days of high temps - so any other predictors can give you the "heads up" that o is coming around the corner

8. If using Fertility Friend (FF) - DO sign up for the FREE charting course - it is very helpful & informative

9. utilize the search in this site BEFORE you post to see if your question has already been raised & answered - you'd be surprised how many of us suffer the same anxieties

10. try not to Pee on a Stick (POAS) ie do a Home pregnancy Test (HPT) BEFORE you are at least 12 days post ovulation (DPO), even then that is early - general rule is to wait until you are officially late

11. if you don't have a chart - we cannot stalk you and cannot advise you effectively. Please also remember - that any advice given is simply our personal opinions only - we are NOT medically qualified & you should ALWAYS seek the advice of your Doctor

12. Remember - we cannot answer any "am I pregnant" questions - every woman's cycle is different & can vary cycle to cycle - no 2 are alike. The only way to ascertain if you are pregnant is to POAS or see your Dr

13. start taking prenatal supplements - must contain at least 500mg of folic acid (the earlier you take the folic acid the better - it has been proven to reduce the instances of neural tube defects in baby)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

BTW If you are unsure of the abbreviations in this forum, please refer to the following list:

2WW- Two week wait
    AF- Aunt Flo (menstruation)
    BBT- Basal Body Temperature
    BD- Baby Dance (sex)
    BF- Boyfriend or Breast Feeding
    BFN- Big Fat Negative
    BFP- Big Fat Positive
    BH- Braxton Hicks
    BIL- Brother-in-law
    BTW- By the way
    CM- Cervical Mucus
    DD- Dear daughter
    DH- Dear husband
    DS- Dear son
    DSD- Dear stepdaughter
    DSS- Dear stepson
    DPO- Days Past Ovulation
    EDD- Estimated Due Date
    FIL- Father-in-law
    HPT- Home Pregnancy Test
    KWIM - Know What I Mean
    MIL- Mother-in-law
    MC- Miscarriage
    MS- Morning Sickness
    NPP- Not Preventing Pregnancy
    O- Ovulation
    OPK- Ovulation Predictor Kit
    POAS - Pee On A Stick
    PP- Post Partum
    SIL- Sister-in-law
    SO- Significant Other
    TMI- Too much information
    TTC- Trying to conceive
    US- Ultrasound

Charting Your Cervical Position
    You should begin checking your cervical position the first day after your menstrual period. Cervical position can be monitored throughout the day and be done while checking your cervical fluid. This page explains how the different positions of your cervix along with the feel and the opening changes should be logged on your fertility spreadsheet.

Low Cervical Position
    Right after your menstrual period, the position of your cervix will be low and easily reached by your fingertip. This should be charted on your spreadsheet by logging "L" or "Low". At this time, a cervical position of low is considered infertile.

Mid Cervical Position
    Closer to ovulation your cervix will start to rise. This is caused by the increasing amount of progesterone in your body. Your cervix will start moving a little higher within your body but can still be reached rather quickly with your fingertips. This should be charted on your spreadsheet by logging "M" or "Mid". At this time there is a possibility of being fertile.

During Pregnancy
    When pregnancy occurs, the cervix will rise up and become soft, yet the os will remain tightly closed. This occurs at different times in different women. Some women may find that twelve days after ovulation their cervix will do this and is a probable pregnancy sign. Others won't experience this until well after the pregnancy has been confirmed.

High Cervical Position
    A day or two prior to ovulation your cervix will rise to its highest point. It moves to this level due to the amount of progesterone within your body. When checking for the position you will notice that it is almost difficult to reach your cervix and should be logged on your spreadsheet as "High". Note: Due to the unique way the Charting Consultation Service logs to show at a glance when your peak time is - the letter "X" (extra high) is used for their fertility chart. At this time you are considered extremely fertile.

Hard Cervix
    When you begin checking your cervix the day after your menstrual period has ended, you will notice that the feel of your cervix is rather hard. It will feel almost as you are touching the tip of your nose. This should be logged on your cervix as "H" or "Hard". At this time you are considered infertile.

Soft Cervix
    Closer to ovulation your cervix will start to soften. This is caused by the increasing amount of progesterone in your body at this time. It may feel almost like touching your bottom lip. This should be logged on your spreadsheet as "S" or "Soft". When cervix is soft and high you are considered extremely fertile.

Closed Cervical Opening
    When you begin checking your cervix the day after your menstrual period begins you will notice that there is a small slit or a tiny round hole (usually women who have given birth will feel a small hole instead of a slit) which is the opening where sperm enters. The opening will be very small at this time and should be logged on your fertility chart as "C" or "Closed". When your cervical opening is at its smallest (closed) you are considered infertile.

Open Cervix
    Closer to ovulation you will notice that your cervical opening begins to enlarge. This makes it easier for sperm to enter into the cervix. The slit or hole will become larger and will feel very open. This should be logged on your fertility spreadsheet as "O" or "Open". When your cervical position is High, Soft and Open you are considered extremely fertile.

GreenBaby2B Guest

Wow, this is so informative! My DH and I just started TTC, so this is very helpful =)

Could you post the changes you (may) experience once you become pregnant?

this is good infomation

Thank you for the abbreviation help! haha

I didn't see these on the list and just googled 'em:

RE: Reproductive Endocrinologist
    FRER: First Response Early Response (test)
    FMU: First Morning Urine

Someone please correct me if I have something wrong.
    -Cat(32), DH(33), DD(10/21/08) DD(04/30/11)
    20% off entire 31 purchase thru 8/10 www.mythirtyone.com/31byCat
    Natural birthing, breastfeeding, ECing, CDing babywearing, crunchy mama to our 2 wonderful flower girls!

thanks! this info was very helpful. especially "AF" and "DH" wish I read this before posting a thread. lol~

Thanks for the information, it was really helpful! And now I know what DS means! But what if a person's not ovulating anymore, the CM is not sticky, and it's clear...AF due on the 5th or 6th of this month...combine that with lower back ache and way low abdominal cramping...?

ok so Im new to all this im a mother of 3 witch were easy to consive now im ready for more I had an IUD taken out June and i took the O test on this site to see when i would be Oing and it says July 3-13 best day is the 8-9th so we have been doing the BD every night and hoping for the best really want a march baby any ways my question is do we still BD up to the 13th or can we slow down after my best O days
    Please help thanks

Default CM question

I reposted my question in a new thread. Thanks!
    Last edited by RachelB; 03-07-2012 at 01:49 PM.

babybubba Guest

Smile thank you

All this information is wonderful. I was reading through some of the other forums and I was getting overwhelmed! My hubby and I have just started TTC. Looking forward to all the wonderful insite on this forum!

JDNunn Guest

Hi, I'm new and not sure where to post this. But my question is complex. I was on Minera for 4 1/2 years. I got it taken out May 15th. I will be seeing my husband on June 15th (He's Air Force) and we are wanting to try to conceive. Well, I haven't had a period since March, 2008. (After I gave birth in Jan. 2008, I had Minera placed in 6 weeks later) I am not sure when I will have my period, but I'm ovulating now. June 15th is the only time we will be able to try before he's gone again. Any advice on helping me out on my chances here. I told my doctor I usually ovulate around the middle of the month and she said she didn't think there would be a problem. But my ovulation cycle right now is runny watery, and I am told this is the best time to try. It will be another 16 days before I see him though. I haven't had a period, probably due to stress. I have been having the same ovulation discharge though for 3 weeks now... so I don't know what to think. Any help would be most grateful! Thank you!
    Jil

Hillary Guest

I am a 42 yr old mother of two children 18, 13. My husband and i just started ttc this last Sunday. So my question is, I had white eggy CM Saturday and Sunday. We did the BD Sunday night and Monday morning. We tried on Tuesday morning but our cat startled us and i dont' think he did it in there. I felt the cramping pinch Tuesday while i was at work 1130-230ish. But my ovulation test registered Tuesday. So Im confused why did the test say i was going to ovulate but i had the crampy pinch on Tuesday? (Which was also my 14th day after AF) Also, Tuesday night i almost fainted and had diarrhea for 2 days and still have loose bowel ever since. I have waves of nausea all day but i have read that could be from ovulation. My breasts just feel fuller but not too painful. Thanks for ur help!

Quote Originally Posted by Hillary View Post
    I am a 42 yr old mother of two children 18, 13. My husband and i just started ttc this last Sunday. So my question is, I had white eggy CM Saturday and Sunday. We did the BD Sunday night and Monday morning. We tried on Tuesday morning but our cat startled us and i dont' think he did it in there. I felt the cramping pinch Tuesday while i was at work 1130-230ish. But my ovulation test registered Tuesday. So Im confused why did the test say i was going to ovulate but i had the crampy pinch on Tuesday? (Which was also my 14th day after AF) Also, Tuesday night i almost fainted and had diarrhea for 2 days and still have loose bowel ever since. I have waves of nausea all day but i have read that could be from ovulation. My breasts just feel fuller but not too painful. Thanks for ur help!
    Welcome Hillary! I would say that you probably O'd on Tuesday and as far as dtd, you should be covered. Good luck!

countrygirl2322 Guest

i am coming up to my ovulation when is the best time

Okay, my question is about figuring out your ovulation schedule and when you're most fertile time of the month is. I do know that there are those kits at store you can use. However, one problem I face is my cycles haven't always been the most trackable. I started when I was ten and since then(other than the four years I was on birth control) I generally had cycles every four to six weeks. So I have never known for sure when my period is gonna hit. I just have made it a point of knowing that once I hit week four, anytime after that my period is due over the next two weeks. Oy! So I am not sure how to best gauge when my strongest time of fertility will be.

Any thoughts or advice from anyone would be most helpful. I have been off the pill since June. My period could possibly be due this next Friday. Anywhoo, I'm rambling, so I'll quit.

I find fertility friend helpful. My cycle is irregular like yours, so it helped me figure out when I was ovulating. Here is my chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3e10a4

It also helped me when I went to my Dr to talk about my irregular cycles. They are now going a work up for pcos. You might want to talk to your dr to see why your cycle is irregular.

GL!

How does the fertility sight work? I am not familiar with fertilityfriend.com and what is the point of it. I am interested in learning..;)

Redmommy Guest

I am nursing my first baby still but want to start trying for another. I have not had my period. Can I still ovulate?

Thanks for this info. It's super helpful. Well according to all this info and my own records. It's time to try again this month. I don't know about you ladies, but sometimes this all gets a bit too much. I think of nothing else and get so focused on ttc. Good luck girls. Baby dust to all. X

Bah. It looks like this thread is getting spamed somehow.
    Me (28) DH (32) DSD (9) DD (born 12/22/13)

I'm going to lock this thread. It has somehow become the target of spam and is mostly meant for information-question are best posted in the TTC forum as new threads.

Tif/APA Moderator