Homemade Chicken Salad
I find this recipe to be the best chicken salad. It makes enough for about 5-6 sandwiches.You can always 1/2 the recipe and it makes about 3 sandwiches. I like to put this on homemade white or wheat bread with lettuce and sliced garden tomatoes. I have also put this on just lettuce for a healthier meal or I make it for a party and put it out with crackers. You really can't go wrong.
Mix together and chill.
- 4 cups diced or shredded cooked chicken (I have used leftover chicken from the previous nights dinner..either grilled chicken, baked chicken). I find that using a blend of the dark and white meat creates a better flavor.
- 1-2 stalk celery, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 4 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced or 1/4 cup sweet onion cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped dill
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1 cup homemade mayonnaise (if you don't have a recipe to use you can use the one below)
- 2 teaspoons strained freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Combine egg yolk, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in medium bowl. Whisk until blended and bright yellow, about 30 seconds. Using 1/4 teaspoon measure and whisking constantly, add 1/4 cup oil to yolk mixture, a few drops at a time, about 4 minutes. Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup oil in very slow thin stream, whisking constantly, until mayonnaise is thick, about 8 minutes (mayonnaise will be lighter in color). Cover and chill. Can be made up to 2 days ahead. Keep chilled.
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- 3/4 cup canola oil, divided
Last edited by pants; 02-26-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Me-Brenda (SAHM), DH-Rudy, DS-Isaiah (3/13/09), Micah (5/25/2011)
We are a bf, baby wearing, non-vacc, hbac, homeschool, traditional family whose center is Christ!