Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips for Increasing Supply

Can someone tell me if there is anything I can or should be doing BEFORE baby comes? My brother said he heard something about massaging now and stimulating the glands before the baby comes. I wasn't sure if I should believe him or not. LOL Thanks!!

This is an odd suggestion but.....a British woman that I work with said that when she had her first child, the doctors had her drink a Guiness a day to keep up her supply. She's convinced that this is why she never had any issues with bf.

Only equals can be friends.-Maya Angelou

http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html

This is an awesome video on "hands on pumping"!!!!

I feel as though my supply is dwindling. I do not eat oatmeal and I don't take fenugreek yet. I will try. I am leaving in about a month, for one night (Dexter will be 3 months old) and I don't know how much milk to bring to my MILs.

So helpful! Thanks for keeping this sticky alive

Quote Originally Posted by dixiechicken View Post
    I feel as though my supply is dwindling. I do not eat oatmeal and I don't take fenugreek yet. I will try. I am leaving in about a month, for one night (Dexter will be 3 months old) and I don't know how much milk to bring to my MILs.
    So I know this is about a month old, but I just read on one of the BFing websites that Blessed Thistle is good for supply, but to stay away from Fenugreek. It is good for supply, but it is bad in another way....I'll look for the link if I can and re-post. I think I got the link from this sticky!

FOUND IT!http://www.childbirthsolutions.com/a...brst/index.php
    Fenugreek - although this has been recommended in the past to increase milk supply, it contains coumarin (which is a BIG no-no when nursing) and nicotine. Both can adversely affect the heart rate and blood pressure in mom and babe!

Quote Originally Posted by laura88 View Post
    FOUND IT!http://www.childbirthsolutions.com/a...brst/index.php
    Fenugreek - although this has been recommended in the past to increase milk supply, it contains coumarin (which is a BIG no-no when nursing) and nicotine. Both can adversely affect the heart rate and blood pressure in mom and babe!
    Thanks, thats weird. I never read that anywhere else. Hmmm....I have been taking fenugreek and it has been working. I am also going to get some blessed thistle. Thanks for the heads up.

well it does work for supply. Just google the herb & nicotine together and you'll get lots of data.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflyb View Post
    This is an odd suggestion but.....a British woman that I work with said that when she had her first child, the doctors had her drink a Guiness a day to keep up her supply. She's convinced that this is why she never had any issues with bf.
    I have been given this advice by at least 4 different older women too. They said to drink beer. Haven't actually tried

I actually read this. It's the hops. The thing even said it's a good excuse for a beer, just don't over do it.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflyb View Post
    I know drinking alcohol while BF'ing is controvercial, but...

A couple of times I've had a beer after Stella's gone to sleep (and I know I've got about 6 hours before the next feeding, so I don't worry too much). The next day, I'm ALWAYS overflowing. Seriously!

I'm just saying...

it's the yeast in the beer
    Caylee(11); Payten(3); Ayden & Ava (1)

Quote Originally Posted by teachermom View Post
    I know drinking alcohol while BF'ing is controvercial, but...

A couple of times I've had a beer after Stella's gone to sleep (and I know I've got about 6 hours before the next feeding, so I don't worry too much). The next day, I'm ALWAYS overflowing. Seriously!

I'm just saying...
    I worked our church's picnic a couple of weeks ago. Well, we ran out of water and all that was left was beer. The next morning, I was engorged!
    Kristi, Jim, Ava & Gavin

Does anyone if there is another source of the yeast? Clearly bread doesn't do it - because I eat plenty of that! Would Brewer's yeast or something like that work?
    (I'm feeling a bit desperate here...)

Quote Originally Posted by sartre View Post
    Does anyone if there is another source of the yeast? Clearly bread doesn't do it - because I eat plenty of that! Would Brewer's yeast or something like that work?
    (I'm feeling a bit desperate here...)
    You can get brewers yeast pills.

Co-sleeping, baby-wearing, bfing, pumping, working ft mama.

Did anyone get nauseous with the mother's milk tea? I tried it with my first child and felt like I had m/s again. Since I suffered from Hyperemesis until delivery with him, I really couldn't handle it again.

Hello to all mothers.. My name is Jodie and I am new here.. I have a 6 month old daughter that I am breastfeeding at the moment and do plan on continueing till she is about 12 months of age.. But the reason of me being here is I need some advice from the mothers that have or may be in my situation at the moment.. I am going through a custody battle and I am worried that they might make me pump my milk so that her dad can take her on his visitations.. what if I have a problem pumping my milk? Can somone please help me?

Quote Originally Posted by Jbear View Post
    Hello to all mothers.. My name is Jodie and I am new here.. I have a 6 month old daughter that I am breastfeeding at the moment and do plan on continueing till she is about 12 months of age.. But the reason of me being here is I need some advice from the mothers that have or may be in my situation at the moment.. I am going through a custody battle and I am worried that they might make me pump my milk so that her dad can take her on his visitations.. what if I have a problem pumping my milk? Can somone please help me?
    Maybe you've done this already (and I just haven't seen it) but you may want to post this in a separate thread - since ladies may only be looking in this one for specific advice on increasing supply. Sounds like a legitimate concern, though. Sorry I don't have any advice, but I know it's harder for some to pump than others - myself included, but I'm only about 2 weeks into it.

Ok, so I found this out by accident. It works so well, I woke up completly clogged one day. Vitamin B-12 or B-complex. It's water soluable so it ups your supply. I didn't notice it until day 3 or 4, but man oh man. This would be great for those who have trouble pumping too, just make sure to pump B4 you get clogged, or OUCH! If it's too much, take it every other day or two days.

where can i get fenugeek from?

Quote Originally Posted by Lante View Post
    where can i get fenugeek from?
    GNC sells fenugreek tablets. Whole Foods carries a range of herbal supplements as well, including the More Milk Plus herbal tincture.

24. Default

Thank you for this thread. I haven't had a problem with supply until recently. I had the stomach flu last weekend and my supply dropped off from that. I eat oatmeal everyday and have been drinking the Mother's Milk Tea. I'm trying not to stress...life has been nothing but stress lately...my husband is working A LOT, work is not going so great. I'm not sure what else to try. I'm going to see if I can get some More Milk Plus...otherwise I just don't know.

If you work - pump more often while away.
    Don't forget to drink water.
    If you're at home - just nurse your baby as often as baby wants, or just offer nursing every 1,5hrs.
    Co-sleep and nurse on demand through the night in either situation.

Where can you get Fenugreek capsules?

27. Default

Eat. A lot. I'm amazed at how many calories I have to consume and everytime I start cutting back, so does my milk.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothknits View Post
    Eat. A lot. I'm amazed at how many calories I have to consume and everytime I start cutting back, so does my milk.
    So, so true. I feel like I'm constantly hungry the last couple of weeks and every time I turn around I have something in my mouth. DH thinks I'm crazy, but I know it's because I'm busy making milk.

Make sure you get enough protein in your diet too - I've noticed that if I don't have protein with breakfast, my supply dips a little.
    Krista & Jonathan: Liam, our one and only, born 9 Sep 2008

29. Default

Quote Originally Posted by sunrider View Post
    So, so true. I feel like I'm constantly hungry the last couple of weeks and every time I turn around I have something in my mouth. DH thinks I'm crazy, but I know it's because I'm busy making milk.
    The problem is when I've eaten my lunch my 10:15. I've spent so much on eating out lately my husband is going to kill me. I guess I've lost my ability to lecture him about McDonalds.

Haven't tried but that's what I found just now:

How to Improve Breast Milk with Natural Treatments

1. To have more breast milk: Grind fennel seeds, saturate in a cup of boiling water for 15 minutes. Then drink the water and eat the seeds. Repeat 3 times daily.

2. For better breast milk: consume almonds oil.

3. For more breast milk: Saturate buckwheat in milk and butter and eat.

http://www.grannymed.com/meds/breast-milk.aspx
    Miss T (10.17.2008) Miss A(06.30.2012) Flipper #3 due 06.2014
    Follow my blog on Facebook