Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Before you post in this room...

Default Before you post in this room...

I have noticed lately that there have been a few new people posting in this room. Generally speaking I am very pleased to see that there are people who want to join our little community, but I have also noticed that there have been a few who have jumped into conversations with questionable motives. Now that the political room is closing I fear that we will once again see more people coming in here who feel the need to express their own opposing opinions and debate ours.

So, I would like to humbly request that before joining in an existing conversation, could all those who are new to this room please take a minute to post an introductory message (either in this thread or in a new one of your own), to let us know who you are and a little about your basic belief system.

This room was set up so that those of us who intend to raise our children without the influence of any supernatural beings, "God(s)", or organized religion could have a place to gather to discuss issues we face as Secular parents and find support. As a minority group in this country we may occasionally feel a need to vent our frustrations about things such as separation of church and state, or the intrusion of other people's religion into our personal lives, but those topics should not be viewed as invitations to those who disagree with us to debate our views.

We do welcome all those who feel that they belong in this room based on their world views. There are ladies (and a gentleman or two) whose beliefs range from "strong" atheism to those who are not sure what they believe, to those who do believe in a God, but don't feel that traditional organized religion is right for them and feel more "at home" here. All we really ask of those who want to join us is that you please remember that this room was meant as a "safe haven", free from argument, debate and judgement from those who don't share our views.

Thanks.
    Last edited by AnnieEek; 11-08-2008 at 11:12 AM. Reason: typo

Toeing the edge between sanity and insanity

Do you want this stickied, Annie?

Quote Originally Posted by Tif View Post
    Do you want this stickied, Annie?
    Might not be a bad idea, thanks.

Thank you for posting this. I have to admit that although I have been lurking here for awhile, I just posted this weekend. I am someone who was raised Christian, and attended church regularly, but in recent years, just believe that there are a lot of really good people that don't have to be religious to decent people. I hope to participate more in here, if you will have me.
    Sandy & Matt, Proud parents of 3 beautiful children, Hazel and Cody adopted thru Foster Care, and Isla Blue was born on April 2, 2010!

I'm a lurker from way back, so I'll post here as opposed to starting my own thread.

I've posted here a few times, although I hang mostly in the TTC and STC rooms. I think its great that there is a Secular room- how refreshing!

I was raised Roman Catholic- did the whole Catholic school thing. I even taught catechism to kindergartners when I was in high school, so let's just say the belief system was pretty well entrenched in my head. My senior year I was on a college visit when I found out that my diocease was closing this little rural church close the college because even though the town wanted it, they couldn't support it. Then the church raised the yearly fee for catechism classes from $50/yr to $2000 if you were a "non-contributing" church member. (That was totally my family btw.) I suddenly realized my church wasn't about faith, it was about money. It was a business. That really shook me to the core.

Flash forward many years, and I've realized that I don't really jive with the whole "God" concept anymore. Because of how I was raised, I don't think I'll ever not believe that something is out there, but I know I'm not going to find it through organized religion. I'm totally cool doing my own thing, and finding my own way. That unfortunately puts me at odds with many, but I pretty much just keep what I believe to me. People like talking about themselves way more anyways.

So I'd like to hang here too if that's cool with everyone. I find the conversations pretty stimulating!
    Me (Christy) 33, DH (Jason) 36, DSS (Ryan) 7, DSS (Austin) 6
    ~Peanut Butter and Jelly Batter Housewife~

Hi, I'm Katy. I mostly just lurk here, but have occassionally posted. My DH is atheist and I'm more agnostic I suppose. As DH and I begin our family I'm curious to see how other like-minded families raise their children and talk to their children about their beliefs. Look forward to talking with everyone!
    My little Lily is 3 yrs old now!

Sorry, I just saw this sticky! I've been posting for a while now, hope that's been ok?

Anyway, I was raised with now religion whatsoever. As my Granny put it, "Our family left religion in the Old Country." I grew up on the West Coast, went to a very liberal university, and had very like-minded friends, so until a few years ago I honestly didn't realize that this was not the norm. I guess I started to realize this when I began dating my husband who was raised Catholic.

Well that's me, so

I just saw this sticky and i posted a thread already.
    Anyways my screen name is Caliebear my name is Tara and i don't really have a religion my DH is atheist though. well i dunno what else to say so i will say this is me

i was babtized as a catholic n basicly all my family but i have never followed the religion or anything big i think i have been in church about maybe 8 times my whole life.im very open minded and i do bealive in a god and the virgin mary im just not all that at heart i guess i go with what i feel at the moment and i must admit i dont know how to pray or any of the rosary reads or anything

I've posted in a couple of the other forums. Since I was raised as JW, I'm pretty sheltered when it comes to other religions or belief systems. I'm looking forward to reading different points of views
    Children: Me - 2 (19 & 14); DH - 2 (32 & 30); working on OUR first! Both tubes are confirmed open!!
    Make an ovulation ticker

TheArrows Guest

Smile

My name is Diane, and I was raised in Christianity. I've spent way too much time on religious message boards debating others on various topics, and I'm burned out from that. There are only so many times that I can hear the same old tired argument that I have refuted numerous times. Because of my upbringing I have deep respect for the religions of this world and for Jesus*.

I've left orthodox Christianity, and currently I'm agnostic/diest just enjoying life at the moment. Because of the burnout I will probably lurk, more than post in this sub-forum.

*The historical man, not divine figure that was voted upon in early Christian councils to have various attributes hundreds of years after the historical man walked the shores of Galilee.

traci0028 Guest

Hi! My name is Traci. Here's my story: My mother was raised Episcopalian, my father Catholic. They were both made to attend church weekly when they were young. I dont know if they have "problems" or issues with the church per se but I was raised with no religion at all. Though I've always been curious about Christianity. I don't get it.
    Enter DH who was raised Methodist and who at the time we met, did not attend church but within the past few years he started going. I've been a few times but I don't enjoy it. I don't understand it. I don't feel like I get anything from it. Now DH's family all are Methodist and most attend church. When we got married we decided not to get married in a church because 1) he did not have a church at the time and was not close with a pastor and 2) I didn't want to...so we decided to have someone close to us get ordained on the internet to marry us. Perfectly legal. It all worked out and was a beautiful wedding but DH's family really gave us a hard time about our choice for a wedding. The person who married us is in DH's family and is known not to believe in God and DH's mother and father were furious and really made a huge deal about it. We obviously stuck to our guns and had a very unique wedding 2 years ago. Anyway I don't know much about anything religious but after reading all the posts and introductions I feel like this is a good fit.

I never posted in this thread, so I will now...

Like queenj, I was raised a JW and therefore sheltered from other religions and beliefs. I was a full time preacher (yes, I was one of those people who knocked on your door Saturday morning when you were in your jammies ). A part of me always questioned, however, and around the time I turned 20, lots of things happened to me that caused my faith to change. Here I am, 6 years later. I consider myself agnostic.

Hello! Um, I don't really think I have a story, I was raised Catholic and while I still consider myself catholic, espcially when the Jehovah's Witness show up at my door, I just don't have a use for the organized religion or the teachings, I perfer to keep my spritual views personal and emphasize that with my children. I want them to think for themselves and discover what works and makes sense for them, as opposed to drilling in their head that this is the only way and all others are either wrong or misguided. Whew! And I thought I didn't have a story!

Hi, I'm Melissa.
    I was baptized Protestant and DH was baptized Catholic, but both of us don't have really a connection the church.
    Our values come from a variety of different religions, like Christianity, Buddhism, Taoism, Hindu, etc... so we basically fit nowhere and that is fine with us.
    The foundation of "believes" though is to be a good person. So who can argue with that?

Because of all of this we are not going to get our son baptized.
    We want to introduce him to the variety of believes and religions that are out there while he is growing up, so that he can get his own opinion. And if he indeed finds something that he feels fitting for him and that he wants to be part of, we are fine with that.

We are very open minded and liberal...

Here it is!
    Oh Hi Melissa!!
    6[/B] pounds down 34 more to go!

I'm Lauren

I was raised Catholic, but I see myself as more Agnostic now than anything. I believe there might be a god, and I do believe in Heaven and Hell, but I certainly don't believe in all the things the Bible has told us. I believe in so many different values that I seriously doubt I belong to any religion, hehe.
    Lauren (24) Clinton (30) - my life, my rock Praying for all the APA girls! My Blog

elmobo Guest

I never knew this existed!
    I'm Ashley. I'll be 25 in July. My DH is 26. We have two daughters, Elizabeteh born 9/22/04 and Alexis born 12/19/08.

I don't know what I believe. I don't know if I don't believe in God, or if I just don't believe in religion. I'm not sure. I know I don't believe in the bible and I really don't think there's an invisible man in the clouds.

That being said, we will allow our children to decide for themselves what they believe. I will never say "there is no god" or anything like that unless they get alot older and they realize they don't believe either. Organized religion is not for me!

Quote Originally Posted by elmobo View Post
    I never knew this existed!
    I'm Ashley. I'll be 25 in July. My DH is 26. We have two daughters, Elizabeteh born 9/22/04 and Alexis born 12/19/08.

I don't know what I believe. I don't know if I don't believe in God, or if I just don't believe in religion. I'm not sure. I know I don't believe in the bible and I really don't think there's an invisible man in the clouds.

That being said, we will allow our children to decide for themselves what they believe. I will never say "there is no god" or anything like that unless they get alot older and they realize they don't believe either. Organized religion is not for me!
    I kinda forgot about it but heck I have been here so long anyways
    6[/B] pounds down 34 more to go!

Hi.
    My name is Amy. DH and I were raised in varying shades of luke-warm Christian, and now we are both anti-organized religion and generally unbeliever-ish. Is that vague enough? This is what happens when I'm up at 3am because my son's teething is kicking my butt. Anyway, I'm likely to lurk more than I post, but I thought I'd introduce myself anyway. I'll probably be looking for advice soon on how to talk to Luke about my mom who died before he was born since we don't have the convenient "she's in heaven" option, and this room will likely be one of the best resources. Oh, and there are a few people in here who can vouch for my unbeliever-ish-ness.

YAY! Hi Amy!

Awesome you made it in here with the rest of heathens. We have some good conversations.
    Krista & Jonathan: Liam, our one and only, born 9 Sep 2008

Hi
    My name is Christina... I don't think I am really anything lol
    I wasn't really raised with any religion, but did attention church for some years when I was growing up.. (Mostly Protestant I think)
    I personally see nothing wrong with believing if you want too and also nothing wrong if you don't believe <<< If that makes any sense at all
    I kind of stand in the middle... I think being a good person and being good to others is more important than believing in a man in the clouds???...
    So anyways thats a little bit about me, even though I will probably lurk more than post

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

shutterbird Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    Hi
    I wasn't really raised with any religion, but did attention church for some years when I was growing up.. (Mostly Protestant I think)
    I personally see nothing wrong with believing if you want too and also nothing wrong if you don't believe <<< If that makes any sense at all
    I kind of stand in the middle... I think being a good person and being good to others is more important than believing in a man in the clouds???...
    So anyways thats a little bit about me, even though I will probably lurk more than post
    Hi Christina. No lurking allowed - you HAVE to participate! Okay, not really, but it'd be great if you did!

Oh but I love lurking so much it makes me feel so sneaky!!!

Things are a little crazy, but I'm loving every minute of it My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Smplyme89 View Post
    Hi

"Any idiot can face a crisis; it is this day-to-day living that wears you out." -Anton Chekhov

Hi Christina! Please lurk to your heart's content (or feel free to dive right in! )

Hi all! Sorry I posted before seeing this thread.

I was raised Lutheran, my husband is Jewish by heritage and also raised Lutheran (this is the way he defined himself.) When we met we were not practicing anything, and when we got married we wanted to have some sort of spiritual element to the ceremony. We met and hired a Unitarian Universalist minister and chose every part of our ceremony, including some Christian, Jewish and secular elements. We so enjoyed our experience we decided to seek out a Unitarian church and started going. We officially joined and have become happily more secular every Sunday!

We now describe ourselves as agnostic leaning towards atheist (humanist.) Its great to be a part of a church community that supports this, we feel really at home, and comforted by the caring humanists, liberal christians, pagans, and liberal jews. We are also comforted that when we have kids we will have a supportive community around us to help raise them with education and understanding rather than judgement.

Good to meet you all!

Hi,
    My name is Shawnna and I just discovered this group. Normally, I hang out in the multiples group (hi, Lydia!) or in Oct 09 birth month.

I am athiest, or possibly you could say Darwinist? My dad's family is Catholic and I have the papers to prove it! But my mom raised me and my sisters in a non-religious household. She was raised without religion too. She didn't even find out her dad was Jewish until she was in her mid 30s (I was a teen). Apparently her parents' families disowned them (Jewish & Pennsylvania Dutch) when they married. My step-dad is pretty non-religious too...we went to the UU church for a bit growing up and then they went to Quaker meetings for awhile.

My best friend used to refer to the UU church as "that satanic church" which always bugged me, because obviously I don't believe in Satan if I don't believe in God. Anyway, she truly believes her mom is an angel and watching over her.

Anyway, basically, I am a single mom of twins, no religion, supremely liberal, prius driving, musical theatre loving, pretty open minded person! So...hi!

Hi Shawnna!!! Welcome