My baby will be arriving Wednesday, March 20 so less than a week to go!
I'll admit I'm not too thrilled with the C-Section part but after a lengthy discussion with my Dr, she feels it would be best for the baby and me.
She doesn't think I'll go into labor before then as the baby appears to be stuck... so unable to drop down.
Anyway, less than a week until I meet my LO!
Ah, that's too bad. I know you were hoping for a natural birth. Can't wait to see picture of your little one. Keep us posted.
I'm sorry it looks like you're having a c-section since its not what you wanted. I felt the same way but after they were born how they came was less important than that they were here.
Can't wait to see your LO!
Being a FTM, this pregnancy was NOT what I expected. It has been pretty rough and unpredictable. In the end, I'm just hoping LO is healthy ...
Thank goodness I've taken the "go with the flow" attitude - because everything has been super crazy.
Hope everyone else gets the delivery they want though!
I'll keep ya'll posted.
Big hugs mama!! I am wondering where the baby would be 'stuck' if it hasnt' dropped yet? I'm curious because I am 2 days overdue and my baby hasn't dropped yet either... dr say it will get into position once contractions begin...
I wish you all the best!!! The 20th is the first day of Spring! Aw!!
It's not uncommon for baby not to drop for a first time mom. Personally, my babies never dropped in any of my 7 pregnancies. Moira was still at -3 station when I was in labor with her at 4cm. I'm not sure what your doctor means by baby being stuck.
I'm not totally up on all the medical terms.... but, I had a growth scan and it showed baby is 9 lbs, 14 oz. Now, the Dr did say that these scans aren't "totally accurate" but she prefers to do a C-Section given the results. In addition, she ordered the growth scan because at 37 weeks baby was nice and low and I was making steady progress... at 38 week appt, the baby had moved high back up. I've had no progress since then and baby still hasn't moved down. She stated she doesn't want to risk the baby getting stuck if it was able to move down but at this point, she doesn't feel the baby would move down even with an induction (stated baby may be "too big" to get into my pelvis??). In addition, I've been having high blood pressure at my appts and she isn't sure how my body would tolerate being induced if it simply hasn't even started the labor process.
Being a FTM, it has been all overwhelming as I've been dealt this within 48 hours...
The Dr. knows my Mom/Aunt and delivered my niece/nephew so I do have trust/faith in her judgment but I do sometimes think Drs. push C-Sections too much....... ehhh, I'll be totally honest and I'm still undecided how I feel about it.
I just want the best for my LO.
futuresoccermom --- just curious......... have you had any signs of labor at all especially being overdue? Are you doing a hospital birth - if so, is there a point where they will induce you? I'm just simply curious....
A lot of pressure 'down there' but not much else. I'm not dilated at all yet. I was two weeks overdue with my first.
Originally Posted by stefanyeileen
I am delivering at a hospital, but I refused to be induced! I'm not against inductions 'in general' but i'm not getting one simply because I am overdue. I dont mind being overdue...its very normal to be! if there was some sort of medical emergency I would do it, but that's not the case with me. When I was 10 days overdue with my first, they called me to tell me that my induction was scheduled. I told them I wouldn't be there, and i'm waiting for it to happen, and it did on day 13. With this one, I am 'measuring big' but there is no dire reason to do anything (yet!) when they throw around weight guesses, its not daunting to me...My first was a tiny 7 pounder, but she has DH wide head so it really would have made no difference pushing wise, whether she was 7 pounds or 10 pounds, or her length..she was literally ALL HEAD. They tell me this baby is 8.5 pounds approx, very long limbs..
A friend of mine had to have a c-section because the baby was simply too big, 10lbs, big head, broad shoulders...it happens!!
The most important thing is that you say you trust your doctors judgement, and that you know her personally and have had family experiences with her before. That is a relief as there are a lot of doctors out their with their own agendas. As much as I do like my doctor (he's the same dr I had with my first) I dont fully trust his judgement, he's very 'hospital policy' pusher, when it comes to timelines which is annoying! I cancelled my last appointment (which was on tues, my due date) because as soon as the due date comes, there seems to be this sense of urgency which I wanted to avoid! I rescheduled for the 21st... hopefully I will go into labour before then..or else I will cancel again! I am willing to go 3 weeks overdue, before I plan on anything being done artificially.
I have a friend who had to have a c-section because baby was too big, it happens!
If you are heart set on having a vaginal delivery, I wouldn't rule it out. If blood pressure is an issue with an induction, then dont get induced! I, personally, would be curious to see if the baby would drop on its own, and how a regular, body led labour would pan out. I wouldn't schedule a c-section on a hunch that things could go wrong naturally..
But that is me! When is your due date?
I wish you all the luck with whatever you decide! I know these decisions are heavy and a lot do deal/think about!
This is totally your choice and what you feel comfortable with, but you should know that ACOG states that suspected macrosomia (big baby) is not a valid reason for scheduling a c-section especially for a first time mother. U/s measurements are notoriously wrong. Dilation and effacement or the absence of it is not an indication of when labor will start. A woman can go from completely closed and thick to labor at any time. There's no way to know if a woman can birth a large baby without a trial of labor. I personally know lots of women who easily birthed 10+ lbs babies vaginally with no problems. You might consider getting a second opinion or asking some questions of your provider. You said your blood pressure is a little high, but no mention of preeclampsia which is more accurately diagnosed with bloodtests. If it was a concern, she should be doing urine catches and bloodwork. The typical standard procedure for pre-e is to induce early, not schedule a c-section. There's no medical evidence that vaginal birth creates more problems with high blood pressure than a c-section. Fwiw, my doctor with my first baby was my mom's doctor. He delivered my sister and 2 of my cousins. My mom and aunt thought he was fantastic. I took their word for it. He had history with my family so I thought he would treat me well. When I went into labor I was given every medical intervention available without any medical indication. There were student doctors there at every step and in retrospect I feel like I was being taken advantage of because I was a first time mom and very young. I found out years later that the things that were done to me not only were unnecessary but they caused the complications that happened during my labor. Complications that I was told they couldn't predict and had no idea why they were occurring. You have to go with your gut, but you should also make sure that you are making an informed choice and not being manipulated by your doctor. As a first time mom, it's even more important to avoid an unnecessary c-section because of the risk to future pregnancies. How can you know if the baby's size is an issue if you aren't allowed a trial of labor. There should be no reason to not wait until 42 weeks as long as everything else is fine and if you are developing pre-e, then your doctor should definitely be discussing the option of induction.
THANKS ladies - I love this forum as I get firsthand real life experiences from you ladies versus attempting to google answers/concerns.
My due date is Saturday - March 16.
And I commend every lady who stands up to "hospital policy". I'm from a smaller town so there aren't many birthing options available except for giving birth in a hospital where it seems they do everything in their power to keep you in a bed.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to respond - it gives me some information to think about.
Futuresoccermom - I hope you keep us updated ..... I'd love to follow what happens with you.
On a fun side note - my birthday is tomorrow (another year older!) and I'm a bridesmaid in a wedding on Saturday (I'm simply excited to put on my dress and get my hair done - hope to feel pretty/dolled up for a day!). Of course, with my blood pressure issues, Dr. stated "no dancing" - haha. I'm okay with that as I can't dance anyway :laugh:
In terms of my blood pressure - I call it "white coat syndrome" - on Tues, it was 160/100. But, at this point, I've had no protein in the urine and they can always seem to get it under control when I lie on my left side for 10 minutes....
Regardless of what the hospital's routine is, you always have the right to refuse just as you have the right to consent. Don't sell yourself short. Just make sure they know what you want. As for keeping you in bed, they aren't going to shackle you. Needing to use the bathroom will always get you out of bed, and if you decide to get into the shower while you are in there they aren't going to drag you out. You can refuse anything you feel is unnecessary. Always ask of every intervention what is it for? What are the risks? What are the benefits? What are my other options? and most importantly What if we wait? or What if we do nothing? And if you ask for the risks of an intervention don't let them brush you off by saying the risks are minimal. Ask to see information about the risks.
Originally Posted by stefanyeileen
Tough time for fathers especially with their first baby. My baby is due next month. I am bit nervous and try to take best care of my wife. Can you give some tips to take better care. Thanks in advance :)
Originally Posted by stefanyeileen