Choosing an adoption agency and/or an attorney is a task involving a number of considerations. It is important to select the adoption professional that is the best fit for your circumstances. The following are some suggestions for making a good choice in the search for an adoption professional.
Choosing an Adoption Agency: Suggestions
- Get referrals from friends or others that have adopted or have placed their child for adoption
- Ask how long the attorney or agency has been working in adoption
- Find out what services they provide before and after the adoption
- Find out the full extent of your financial obligations and costs of adoption
- If relevant, ask if the agency places minority or biracial children
- Ask the adoption agency for a list of referrals
- Determine if the adoption professional works with open or closed adoption and the attorney’s views and experience with both types
- Inquire about the availability and credibility of counseling
- Learn about the adoption plan, contract, and decrees
- See what procedures are in place to determine the health and stability of the adoptive parents.