There can be several options available to those in the process of choosing an adoption agency and/or attorney. It is important to select the adoption professional that best meets the needs of yourself as well as the potential birthmother. The following suggestions can help potential adoptive families make a good choice in their selection of an adoption professional.
- Request referrals from friends or others who have adopted or have placed their child for adoption.
- Ask how long the attorney or agency has been involved in adoption.
- Ask what services they offer adoptive families and potential birthmothers before and after the adoption.
- Make sure you have a complete understanding of the total costs of the adoption from up front fees to finalization.
- If relevant, determine if the agency works with minority, biracial or special needs children.
- Ask the adoption agency for a list of referrals.
- Narrow your list of adoption professionals to those that appear to be the best fit for your circumstances.
- Ask how long the average wait is for a couple in your situation.
- Find out how the adoption professional works with birth fathers and absent or uncooperative birthfathers.
- Determine if the adoption professional works with open or closed adoption and the attorney’s views and experience with both types.
- Inquire about the availability and credibility of counseling for yourself and the potential birthmother.
- Learn about the adoption plan, contract, and decrees.
- Determine what procedures are in place for determining the health of the child.